Sunday, May 22, 2005

Sesquipedalophobia

Sesquipedalophobia means the fear of long words.

"Doctor, I think I fear long words. I shiver in the sight of them."

Doctor: "Oh? Then you must have sesquipedalophobia."

"Sesquip what? AHHHHHHH!!"

Okay, lame joke. Anyway, after days of playing trivia on IRC that includes a long list of phobias, I realised that there's likely a phobia for everything under the sun. Fear of England or English culture, Fear of wind, fear of mind, fear of urinating, Fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth(that's Arachibutyrophobia for you!), fear of returning home, fear of philosophy, fear of EVERYTHING! And that's Panophobia or Pantophobia- Fear of everything! Seriously! How pathetic, if not pitiable, can a human's mind get, fearing all sorts of rubbish?

Yea, I bet there's even a phobia on fear of rubbish!

I bet I have fear of writer's block too. And fear of multi-tasking. 'Am concentrating on trivia and blogging, and maybe a sneak of the fanfic I'm reading, lol.

Or taken from www.phobialist.com, I very likely have -

Achluophobia/Lygophobia- Fear of darkness. (a lil) Autophobia- Fear of being alone or of oneself. Batrachophobia- Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders, etc. Coulrophobia- Fear of clowns. Entomophobia- Fear of insects (MAJOR!). Helminthophobia- Fear of being infested with worms. Hypsiphobia- Fear of height. Isolophobia- Fear of solitude, being alone. Social Phobia- Fear of being evaluate negatively in social situations. Tomophobia- Fear of surgical operations.

And the list goes on and on and on~

But I don't think I'll ever have this - Chrometophobia or Chrematophobia- Fear of money. Who would?! I'll very much like to meet that person and take his fear away from him. Literally. Lmao ^^"

Sorry, was being a lil frivolous there, I do have a propensity to veer off topic, but it is true, and it's abstruse to me that human minds shall be so vulnerable.

Sigh. Going thru the drudgery of daily life, such facts only make it more distressing for me. Now I kinda understand why life is short.

The wild winds weep,
And the night is a-cold;
Come hither, Sleep,
And my griefs enfold! . . .
But lo! the morning peeps
Over the eastern steeps,
And the rustling beds of dawn
The earth do scorn.

Lo! to the vault
Of pavèd heaven,
With sorrow fraught,
My notes are driven:
They strike the ear of Night,
Make weak the eyes of Day;
They make mad the roaring winds,
And with the tempests play,

Like a fiend in a cloud,
With howling woe
After night I do crowd
And with night will go;
I turn my back to the east
From whence comforts have increased;
For light doth seize my brain
With frantic pain.

- William Blake

No comments: