Saturday, November 26, 2005

SPL SPL SPL SPL SPL SPL!

Mel and I went to Jurong Point to catch a movie, and decided on SPL. After our dinner at Fish & Co., we went into Harvey Norman and saw a pussy licking itself on the wide screen TVs.

Hmm. =P

Anyway, SPL! Spoilers ahoy from the movie bitch!

Omg, that's why sometimes I love Chinese movies. It's a gotta-watch: 4 1/2 stars out of 5. Remember, I don't give full stars because I don't believe in perfection.

So anyway, the reason why I love Chinese movies sometimes is that, some of them have meanings behind them. Ones unique to Chinese people only.

SPL a.k.a Si Puo Lang(direct translation: Rip.Tear.Wolf) sorta means an old saying about reading the stars; Qi Si, Puo Jun, Tan Lang. I only remember one line of Donnie Yen; Be thou a soldier, you will end with ill fate or something like that. That was when I know that Donnie's character will die in the show.

I know I prolly shouldn't post spoilers, but this is one of the best martial arts fighting movie I've seen in awhile, so pardon me for being so excited!

In my knowledge about movies, there was only 1 other movie in which all the good guys die, and it was interesting that Ren Da Hua was the lead in both. You know, the one where Ren Da Hua and his team were happily on their way to his girlfriend's restaurant to celebrate their triumph over the storyline's kingpin? They saw a bank robbery and stopped to help, but everyone died in the street shoot-out.

The scene ended with his girlfriend watching the news about the shoot-out in shock.

Sad, but realistic and acceptable. You can't expect the good guys to reign and all survive, right?

Yes, all the good guys in SPL died. The kingpin bad guy didn't. But something did happen. *Hint, hint.*

It mentions retribution and superstitions, and the plot carried it the way that you nod your head with understanding at the end of the show, but its not strong enough to overwhelm the whole story. Brava!

Now I understand Jasmine's infactuation with Donnie Yen. I mean, yea, I've always liked his movies, but man, SALTY GOODNESS! *Slurps*

I reckon I shouldn't mention too much about the storyline, but I must say this: Election has some depths, but SPL has more.

Also SPL's fighting scenes left me in more awe than Jackie Chan's movies. Jackie's movies has more creative moves, but nothing beats real Kung-Fu! The gory scenes made me cring more than I did while watching Land of the Dead.

Oh wait, did I mention the Crippler Hold and Tornado DDT? Lol. Watch it to find out!

No comments: