Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Haiz... Why are bad things happening to me recently?

After a series of bad events happening to me, more things have to come :( I've gotten over my bad birthday... But I realised that one of my hamster, Pipi, had this HUGE lump on his lower lip... He used to have a small small one on the right lower lip, and I thought it was ok... but WTF. Something that huge grew.. and I got increasingly worried b/c it says on the net that its either cancer/tumor or abcess...

Therefore I rushed to a vet in SunSet Way earlier in the evening.. All the way from Yishun (I went to stay over at Sis') and the vet verified that it was abcess for the small bit... But it might be a tumour for the huge one.

Abcess usually grows on the backs and bodies of hamsters but seldom mouth area... He explained to me that he doesnt suggest surgery b/c Pipi wouldn't have enough skin to be used to sew the wound up, and he prolly wouldnt be able to eat on his own for awhile and be very traumatised by the operation.. He's already 2, and reaching his end, but the thing was... He will end up dying of starvation.

Wtf... I mean really... I dote on my hamsters and pets ALOT. There's no way I'm gonna let them starve to death... But this time I have no choice. Pipi can't go for a surgery.. The abcess/tumour will get in the way of his feeding and he will eventually starve to death unless I manage to force feed him. But thats the problem. I hate to force feed my pets... It seems so cruel b/c they suffer like that. Thats the reason why I didn't get antibiotics at 1st... It'll be a torture for Pipi.

Still, I'm indecisive whether I should get antibiotics for him after all... Part of the reason why I didn't, was b/c I want to put Pipi to sleep when he starts to get very small size (he's fat before the tumour grew) becos of starvation or when I see him repulving and weak due to the pain.

I know its cruel to do that... But like what the vet and Mel said... Its better to end his suffering then prolong it.. My heart aches and tears form everytime I think about my poor Pipi... He'd started to slim down already. It's just all my fault. I should have brought him to the vet when the small bit existed. The big tumour might not be there today. And to think I took so long to realise that! It's huge.. It wouldn't have existed overnight... Its all my fault.. I should have changed the cages more often... The vet says we have to clean the cages everyday but I was too lazy to do so... And I'd only noticed when I saw that the food bowl was still 1/2 full... (My hamsters eat alot) Argh.

What should I do? Can someone suggest me? Set it free, keep it by my side till it slowly starve to death in front of me 1 day, or put it to sleep when he show signs of pain? Pls give me some suggestions... I'm at a total loss.

I'm still debating... Think I'm calling up the clinic tomorrow to ask if Pipi can use sand baths.. The abcess gets in the way for him to groom with his mouth and I know he's itching alot.

No comments: