Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I have 2 repeating songs on my songlist...

Lose Control by Missy Elliot

and
Loving You by Minnie Riperton...

Big difference in genres, and I guess only Ying might make the connection. *Sigh*


Anyway, a brief review on the Singapore Drum Fest 2008.





I managed to meet Sy Smith, Teddy Campbell, Dave Wood, Eric Ingram, Cornell Thigpen, Rafael Moreira and Corey McCormick in person, and it's an understatement to say that it was a humbling experience to be in the presence of so many talented musicians. I took all those videos only to realise in dismay that LG Viewty phones are NOT meant to record sounds, because the quality SUCKS BIG TIME.

I also managed to catch Storm Large, Johnny Rabb, Chris Patterson and Nate Morton in action. I honestly thought night 2 of the Concert in the Park will dwindle down more than night 1, what with it being Sunday and all, but boy was I wrong.

Night 1 had an underground music feel to it and though I'm not a connoisseur, I definitely enjoyed the flow of music that night, as its not very well-appreciated in Singapore yet. Besides, I got to see Dave Wood, Teddy Campbell, Cornell, Eric and Sy Smith collaborating together, so it was an awesome night.


All I can say is, Teddy has mad skillz on the drums. You'll feel your hands twitching along while he gets in the zone during his drum solos. Also, he doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, eats heartily, shared with me his tips to keep in shape(Many meals, small quantities. EXERCISE. And the problem is that Singapore food has too much carbs). And he's really sweet. Kudos.

Cornell Thigpen was excellent on the keyboard, sometimes even elegant, which is something that you don't really expect from a big man like him. He was also galant enough to squash a baby cockroach for me with his shoe when we were in the van, and the man sure likes his chicken wings and french fries. Lmao!

Dave Wood was... Dave might be someone you'll skip over when you first scan the band, but there's something about captivating about him and his music that makes your eyes jump back onto him for a second glance. And a third. And so on. A guy who was in the popular crowd in high school but liked to hang out with the geeks, and a really talented guitarist who's entire life is about his music. He's touring with Jesse McCartney, so there's no doubt about his capabilities.

Eric adds on a youthful touch to the performance with his hiphop clothes and cute face(I was shocked when he said he's 25 because he neither behaved or looked like one, lol). Always zestful and constantly spoke like a boy from the hood, yet surprisingly accommodating and dare I say, professional, when fans talk to him. He plays some mean bass too.

Sy Smith was also amazing. I understand how sometimes, African Americans can all appear alike to us Asians, especially when there are so many great black female singers out there. Yet, Sy was top-notch with her Minnie Riperton-like high pitches and sultry powerhouse voice and so wonderously nice that you can't help but like her.

Night 2's highlight had to be Magnetico feat. Storm Large. My impression of Rafa while we all hung out at Arena, was that he was your typical rockstar(He gives off the air of "Nah~ I don't want it, but actually I DO WANT IT"), but once he got on stage with his guitar and entrancing voice, you don't tend to give a shit anymore. He's not nearly as good as my god, Chester Bennington, but he definitely had his vibe.

Rafa was a great combination with Corey McCormick (bassist), whom at first glance, might not trigger your interest, until you realise that he's actually pretty hot :P Very personable and can be totally sweet, and he had the whole bald head with goatie rockstar look that he wore very well. I don't know that intensely about bass but he's one of the best I've met. He's touring with Chris Cornell, man! (Corey, we're waiting for you to come back to Singapore to find your destined wifey! :P)

I wish I'd bought their CDs at the booth upfront =( I also wish I took more pictures with Dave, but if wishes were pennies, I would have been a millionaire.

I know I've been delineating an almost seraphic portrayal of them, as if the guys were all as pure as the driven snow, but let me just say, boys will be boys. And I'm leaving it at that. Heh *shrugs*. Anyways, Some of us also went to a very... educating place on Sunday night after the whole Drum Fest was over. It was certainly an eye-opener, to say the least.


As of yet, I'm not capable to do a full review that would dignify the event, which was not as successful as it deserved to be with its cast of accomplished musicians. I'm still 'hung over' from the whirlwind of events since last Tuesday lah. Yeah, the one where I met Mr. I at the Top Dawg pre-launch party... Heh.

I would be uploading some choice pictures in time. Hopefully. Well Bernard is asking for his laptop back soon, so I will really be incommunicado then.



Hey you. Will you still call me crazy if I tell you that you're sooo cute and gorgeous? *Grins* I'm still missing you, ya know... But no worries, I'm trying my best to get over you. I just need my dose of late nights where I cry myself to sleep after OD-ing on ice cream and movies.

I'll be okay. Soon.

No comments: