Wednesday, February 04, 2009

A little idea...

~~~When you can dream, then you can start
A dream is a wish you make with your heart~~~


In his dreams, it was always night-time; The alleys surrounding Libido were lit dimly with the half crescent moon reflected off the water puddles, and he would be alone, immersed in a sea of people who were zipping by and conversing with words that did not make sense.

He would always wake up in the morning feeling disorientated, recalling something about a night out at the club, a weird sense of déjà vu, and oddly, a lamppost.

---

Walking down the final steps of the club, with the muffled thumpa thumpa music emitting through the heavy curtain drapes behind him, Gale Beaufort heaved a put upon sigh - Another dull night filled with nobodies who gyrated their bodies, glistering with sweat, to the heavy beat of the dance music. There wasn't even a single good catch in sight.


Shrugging on a Hugo Boss butter soft black leather jacket over his sleeveless grey v-neck jersey, Gale crushed out his cigarette under a pair of Prada boots. It was early March, and while he was appreciative of the thawing winter in this God-forsaken place called Pittsburgh, it was still as cold as a witches tit at night.

Sauntering over to his Jeep, Gale gave the streets a cursory scan and a niggling feeling began in the pit of his stomach when his hazel eyes were unwittingly drawn to the lone streetlight across the road that had been the recurring star of his recent dreams.

Emptinesshurtregretlonging

Nearly doubling over in physical pain from the rush of emotions, Gale blanched and tightened his grip on the Jeep's door handle. Taking a moment, he swallowed hard, mouth dry and a bitter, medicine-like taste at the back of his throat. Gale forced himself to shake it off.

"I really need to cut back on the shit that my fucked up disco pharmacologist has been 'prescribing' me," Gale muttered. "And stop talking to myself."

A pause. Gale chuckled at the irony of his latter sentence as he got into his black Jeep Wrangler and revved up the engine. With a wry smile and freshly lit cigarette on his lips, Gale peeled off into the night, leaving behind his little kingdom that is known as, Freedom Boulevard.



I have no idea why, but this 'prologue' just hit me on Monday morning, and had me scrambling for a piece of paper to write it down. I took that paper home and transferred it onto a pocket-sized Hello Kitty notebook, LOL. Moleskine journal for dear ol' Jenx, anyone?

End results were scribblings of unrelated sentences, thoughts, and even names. However, it still puzzled me why I was struck by 'inspiration'. I suppose its the mauldin and lackluster lifestyle that I have been leading recently that had Life coming over to kick me in the arse and demanding me to do something about it.

After dawdling for 2 days, and with LOTS of trepidation, I decided to post this on my blog. There's many reasons why I was uncertain, and one major reason is that I have been encouraged by a few friends to write a story, or dare I say it, a novel, and I was afraid that posting this would decimate all hopes of their bizarre concept that I could actually write.

The other important reason is that, where do I go from here? Thriller? Romance? Drama? Sci-fi? Suspence? Hetero? Homo? Herein lies the problem. My little prologue isn't even long enough - I want it to be at least 2.5 pages on a standard paperback, but so far it's looking to be barely 2 pages. So many ideas are milling through my mind but I am unable to grasp onto one and run with it. Thus, without it, I am unable to expand on my prologue and story.


Is the prologue too short? Boring? Unexceptional? Full of errors? Comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Sigh. Right then, off to lunch. Just be kind and leave me some shreds of dignity, thanks. :P

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

just let the creative juice flow... It is really nice... makes me want to know what is goin to happen next...