Friday, July 10, 2015

弟子规 和 孟子

I've always taken to waxing lyrical with quotes in English (or translated to English), so I thought I'd share some of the teachings of my proud Chinese heritage.


同是人 类不齐 流俗众 仁者希
果仁者 人多畏 言不讳 色不媚
能亲仁 无限好 德日进 过日少
不亲仁 无限害 小人进 百事坏

We are all human beings, but we are not all the same. Out of all the common folk, the virtuous are sparse.
People are always wary of the virtuous, but the virtuous are not afraid to speak their mind, or allow themselves to take to frivolous fawning.
Love your people, and all is well - for your merits will bring you joyous days.
Not caring for your fellow people will only bring unending suffer, as the villainous will enter your life.

仁者爱人:
君子所以异于人者,以其存心也。君子以仁存心,以礼存心。仁者爱人,有礼者敬人。 爱人者,人恒爱之;敬人者,人恒敬之。有人于此,其待我以横逆则君子必自反也:我必不仁也,必无礼也;此物奚宜至哉!

What differs a "gentleman/lady" from others, is in the intent in his/her heart. A gentleman stores benevolence and kindness in his heart.
A benevolent person loves, a polite person respects. A loving person will be loved by all his fellow beings, and a respectful person will be respected by all his peers.
It is here where I reflect, that while I do not have to be virtuous and kind, I do not have to be heartless and cruel, either.

No comments: